B。ook4 Unit3 Language Points
1. Get the students to learn and grasp the usages of the important new words and expressions.
2. Let the students learn the following import。ant sentence patterns: “You may find it astonishin。g that …” and “Unfortunat。ely his father died, leaving the family even worse off…”
1. Enable the students to use some useful new words and expressions correc。tly.
2. Get the stu。dents to make sentences after the useful s。entence patterns.
1. Stimulate students’ interest in learnin。g English.
2. Develop the students’ spirit of group cooperation and teamwork.
Teaching important points
1. Get the students to grasp the usages of such important new words and e。xpressions a。s content ,entertai。n ,d。irect, up to now, cu。t off…et。c.
2. Get the students to master the patterns: “You may find it astonishing that …” and “Unfortunately his father died, leaving the family even worse off…”
Teaching diffic。ult po。ints
1. Let students lea。rn the usa。ge of the word “content” and the expression “cut off”
2. Enable students to learn the sentence patte。rn : find + it + adj./n + th。at…
Indi。vidual work, discussion and practice.
Step I Revision
1. Check the homework exercises
2. Read the key words and expressions tog。ether.
Step II Learning important langua。ge points
1. content n. “（作品等的）内容（与形式相对）” “。含量” 目录 adj.，意为“满。意的，满足的 be content with ...意为“对……满足” be content to do sth. 愿意做某事。
v.。 意为“满足，使满足” ，content oneself with sth.使自己满足于……。
1) Most of his poe。ms have a lot of。 political content.
2) High daytime te。mper。atures increase the。 sugar cont。ent of the grapes.
3) N。ow my grandmother began to live in peace and content.
4) I always read the contents of a book before judging it.。
5) Can you g。ive a description of the contents of your lost wallet?
6) Great people are never content with small success.
7) Being tired of city life, she is content to liv。e。 in peace in the countryside.
be。 astonished+ at (by) /to do/that… 被(因)……惊吓
e.g. She was astonished to find he was drunk. 发现他喝醉了, 她。很吃惊。
He was much astonished that you had failed. 你居然失败，他大感惊讶。
I was asto。nished at/by the news. 这消息使我大吃一惊。
astonishing adj. 令人吃惊的
an astonishing remark 惊人之语
asto。nishment n. 惊异；惊。愕；惊奇
in astonishment 愕然， 吃惊地
e.g. She stared at me in as。to。nishment. 她吃惊地瞪着我。
to one’s astonishm。ent 令……惊异的是……
e.g. To our astonishment the little boy swam across the river.
1) We we。re all entertained by his humourous stories.
2) They often ente。rtained。 t。heir frie。nds on weekends.
3) Barbecues are a favourite way of entertain。ing friends.
拓展 ent。ertainment n. 招待，款待，娱乐
entertaining adj. 有趣的，娱乐的，愉快的
1). Every summer they __________ the neighbours at an outdoor party.
2). Children’s TV pr。ogrammes nowadays are m。uch more __。__。_______.
4. badly off
1). M。rs. Smith was quite badly off for a while after her husband died.
2). No matter how badly off we were, w。e never w。ent to bed hungry.
3). The sch。ool is rather。 badly o。ff for equipment.
4). Our junior middle school was then badl。y off for teachers.
【自我。归纳】 badly off多与be连用，意。为“穷的，生活困难的；”（句1和句2）、“缺少的”（句3和句4），badly o。ff for意为“缺乏”。
【拓展】 well off有钱的，富裕的（bad。ly off的反义词）
worse off境况差一些（更糟）的（badly off的比较级）
better off较富裕的，环境较好的（well off的比较级）
练习 ：从。 A、B、C、D四个选项中选出最佳选项。
1). They don’t seem too badly __。___ - they have nice clothes and a good house.
A. on B. over C. for D. off
2). The people there were badly off。 _____ medi。cine and food after the big ea。rthquake.
A. with B. for C. from D. on
5. cut off
1。). We。 were cut off in the middle of our。 phone conversation.
2). If you don’t pay your gas bill on time, yo。u may be cut off.
3). They were then almost completely cut off from the outside world。.
【归纳总结】 cut off意为“使电话中断”（句1）、“。切。断，停掉”（句2）、“隔绝，断绝”（句3）。
【联想】 cut in插进来说，插嘴，夹塞，干预
1). The floods _____ us _____ fr。om our homes.
2). Julia had been completel。y _____ by all her family and friends.
6. up to now
.Up to now nobo。dy has。 been able to do th。is b。ette。r than Charlie Ch。aplin.
up to now。直到现在，一般与现在完成时连用。
Up to now, the program has saved thousands of children who would otherwise have died.
7. pick out挑出，辨别出
a. (从同类当中) 选出……；选择
e.g. She picked out a pink dr。ess for her。 daughter. 她给女儿挑了一件粉红色的衣服。
e.g. Can you pick out you。r mother in this crowd? 你能在人群中找到你的妈妈吗？
pick off 摘取 pick oneself up（倒下的人）站起。来
pick up 拾起，（车，船）搭载客人,驾车去接（人），接收（信号，广播、电视节目），学会（语言） pick up with 在偶然机会认识（人）
di。rect v。. “导演”， adj. 直的；直线的；直达的; 坦白的；率直的。
e.g. C。harlie Chaplin wrot。e, directed and produced the fi。lms he starred in.
T。here is no direct train from here to Taiyuan. 此地没有直。达太原的火车。
a direct road to London 直通伦敦的路
fly in a direct li。ne 直线飞行
Step III Homework用上面的单词或短语填空。
1. H。e was in hospital for six months. He felt as if he was _____ from the outside world.
2. Judging fr。om his expression, he was _______ (content) with his wo。rk.
3.。 The car rushed at an ___________ (astonish) speed.
4. The play wa。s ________ (direct)。 by a ver。y famous director.
5. When he read the book a second time, he found it _。__________ (entertain).
Keys:1. cut off 2. content 3. astonishing 4. directed